Monday, November 12, 2007

In Princeton Township, N.J., there's an effort to become a sustainable town. That means we use up fewer resources, we try to come up with guidelines to be less wasteful and more environmentally friendly etc. I'm fully behind the idea and went to the first meeting with my own two cents. I advocated for sidewalks, so we could walk rather than use the car and I also advocated for banning plastic bags. It's still in the planning stages but they asked us to sign a sustainability pledge where we could opt to walk two more times a week, start a compose heap from our leaves and use five fluorescent light bulbs.
I pledged to do all that but we already walk to and from school most days, compost leaves and use lots of fluorescent light bulbs although I'm sure we could use more. (We're also not thrilled with the light but that's not another story).
Today though I feel like I'm no longer sustainable so I picked the kids up in the car. Oh well. My house isn't sustainable either. It needs to be recycled or something. I've reached that part of the year where I'm on a treadmill and I can't get off and I'm losing it. Literally. I lost my gradebook at my university, I've mixed up appointments and I got about five hours sleep last night, interrupted by the thought, "I have to bake muffins." Argh. Oh well. More on sustainability later I'm sure but here's the site: www.sustainableprinceton.org

No comments: