Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Tap dancing as fast as I can

Just say no to tap dancing if you're already tap dancing too fast in life. That's what I did and it felt good although I had promised my friend I would dance my little heart out or at least give it a try. I'm already doing yoga and walking every morning and I have deadlines piling up and I'm volunteering for the school book fair and the silent auction for my choir. Yesterday, I felt my stress level rising and that old feeling of being overwhelmed returning and so I had to say no to tap dancing.
I know I'm getting stressed when I start losing things and forgetting things. I've been trying to schedule several interviews at once and I kept forgetting when they were and I rescheduled them and gave myself a lot mmore headaches. Then I left a folder in the parking lot and lost my parking ticket. I probably should have gone back to bed but I did some yoga and that helped a bit. It's the deep breathing that does it.
I also opted to not go to my choir performance tonight but instead go to a friend's cocktail party where she is launching the non-profit she is heading. To do that required several calls to a babysitter and a desperate search to drive my older son home from art. A cocktail party! Imagine! I don't think I've ever been to a cocktail party. I have asked my friends if margaritas in the park count but I'm pretty sure it doesn't. Not to sound like a girly girl but what do you wear to a cocktail party. Hmm.
Yesterday we bought the music book for Hair and my younger son and I sang together. It is such a genuine pleasure in my life and I'm glad they've been able to enjoy music with me. It's a great gift.
My older son asked me to proof his paper on Shakespeare yesterday only he spelled it Shakesphere and he said that someone was insuccessful. "It's not a word," I told him. "Yes it is," he insisted. "Look it up. I'll be you $10 it's not a word," I told him. "I don't have to look it up. I know it's a word," he said. Finally I exploded, "If you teach writing at a university, raise your hand. It's not a word." I'm pretty sure this is immature and insuccessful parenting and will lead to therapy later in life. Oh well.

No comments: