Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Mom's False Alarm at the Hospital

I was away on the Shore with my mother on Sunday when she complained of chest pains. "I'm sure it's nothing," she said.

I tried not to freak out but at age 72, I think you have to do something about chest pains so I urged her to go to the doctor. OK, I insisted she go to the doctor. She took some aspirin and then said she would take the train home. Fortunately, my uncle stepped in and said he would drive her home so we both took her to a hospital near her house in Brooklyn.

Six hours later, they found nothing and released her. It apparently wasn't heart-related, although I hope that she sees a doctor. My mother felt annoyed at the whole incident but I was left still feeling shaken. It made me realize that my mother's at an age where I have to worry about her. She's always been so strong and independent that I've always assumed she'd be fine. But despite the fact that she hates being fussed over, she's not always going to be fine. I have to step in as the bossy caretaker once in awhile and that's her role. That feels strange but hey, I boss everyone else around, why not her?

She's far from being a frail little old lady but age is catching up with her. She still plays with the kids and travels out to see us. She's still involved in a thousand organizations and working three days a week but I have to realize it might not always be that way. I have to start paying more attention to what she needs and mother her a bit even if she hates it. It makes me sad even saying this much but now that I'm half a century years old, it just might be time to be a grown-up.

No comments: