Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Christmas shopping

I do everything at the last minute so it's no surprise that I generally leave Christmas shopping until a couple of weeks before Christmas. I am trying to be zen about this because it seems I will never be one of those women, like one good friend, who has all of her shopping done by now and all the presents wrapped, labeled and under the tree.
I'm OK with the last minute shopping but this year is a bit tough because we are trying to economize or at least be more careful about what we do buy. So, like many people, we will not have a huge gift extravaganza but we will plenty of gifts, especially for our kids.
My boys have held on to Santa for all these years but now I don't hear much about Santa. Earlier in the year, my younger son, W., said it was OK if we didn't have as much money this year because Santa could get him anything. But I think someone has tipped him off because I don't hear that much this year.
In fact, I think my boys are protecting us by not telling us that they have stopped believing. So nobody is even mentioning the big guy in the red suit. This is a little sad but I don't see any way around it until someone comes right out and says what they believe. I tried a tentative, "How are you feeling about Santa these days?" But I didn't word the question very well and all I got was a noncomittal, "Good." Hey, I feel good about Santa too. Who wouldn't?
I have a feeling we'll still have gifts from Santa anyway until they're 30 years old or so. We're big traditionalists around here.
While I fret about Christmas, my house has gotten to that level of messy where you can't even think about cleaning it unless you own a back hoe. But our tree is up and I've gotten most of my presents for my kids and my nephews.
I am resolved to try to preserve the Christmas spirit despite the last minute anxiety, the bleak economic news and my messy house. But right now I need a little ho ho ho in my mojo.

No comments: