Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Endings and Beginnings

I'm in mourning over the loss of my parenting column, Family Matters, for the Times of Trenton. But I am trying to move forward with my blog which has been sorely neglected for the past several months.
I wrote my column for more than eight years and started it when my son W. was just 10 months old. One of my first columns was about my trip to Washington with a friend for the Million Mom March in 2000 and Will wasn't yet 1 yet, so I was still in what one friend once called "the baby haze." Happily. I had Will when I was 40 years old and I was thrilled to have children. But I did put my career on hold somewhat, although I kept freelancing and then began my column. For a copy of my final column, go to http://www.nj.com/living/times/index.ssf.
The column was a kind of touchstone for me - a place where I recorded many of my family's milestones, like the death of our family dog and my children going off to kindergarten and then middle school last year. I sometimes met people I had fallen out of touch with who said they felt they knew what was going on with me through my column. So I'm hoping the blog can serve a similar function. I haven't quite figured out how to do this blogging this but I'm willing to give it a try.

No comments: